We have developed the methodologies and tools used for carrying out the exercise of validation by undertaking extensive research and consultations with various NGOs and stakeholders. The validation process involves a close assessment of NGO's organizational & programmatic practices (including basic legal, regulatory & fiscal compliances) through both desk review and site visits. The key area/parameters of assessment for CAF India Validation are enumerated below:
|Basic Profile||Legal Status||Governance||Human Resource Management||Programme Management|
|Service Delivery||Financial Management||Networking & Partnerships||Administration||Profile & Image in virtual Media|
Request for validation is received from the NGOs, the following documents/information are sought from them along with the requisite fee of validation within a specified time frame:-
- Due diligence form- details on the above-mentioned parameters.
- Fiscal Information Sheet- Compliances of basic legal, regulatory & fiscal norms.
- Referral Check from donors- Reference check on the programmes and functioning of the NGOs from the donors who have supported the NGOs.
- Document Check list- The documents to be sent through courier(Registration Certificate, Byelaws/Trust Deed, Annual Reports, 12A, 80G, Audit Reports, ITR & FCRA returns etc).
A desk review of the documents/information sent by the NGOs is done. Any missing information/document and clarifications on the documents/information is asked for.Site Visit
As part of the validation exercise, our representative/assessor visits the NGO site (head office and 1-2 project sites) programmes. During this visit, the assessor meets the following to have their perspective which helps to have a thorough understanding on organisational & programmatic competencies of NGOs:-
- CEO/chief Functionary
- Board Members/Trustees (who so ever is available on date of visit)
- Key staff Members (managing projects)
- Finance personnel
- On field:
- Field Staff
- Project beneficiaries
The average time to validate an NGO is 3-5 weeks (-/+1 week depending upon the assignment in hand, location and the response of the NGO on the initial e-mail requesting them to send the documents/information w.r.t validation).
3. Costs of validation/revalidation
- The cost for both validating a new NGO and re-validating an existing partner NGO will be Rs 22,000 (in each case) w.e.f. July 1, 2015. Besides this, the organization would also have to bear the site visit cost or arrange the visit, stay & food etc. for a visiting our representative or external assessor.
- An annual validation renewal cost of Rs. 2000/- will be applicable for all NGOs.
- For new NGOs, a one-time nominal registration cost of Rs. 500/- will be applicable.
4. After Validation
After validation, a letter with certificate of validation will be issued to the NGO which will remain valid for the next 3 years (annual renewals required after first & second year @ 2000/- each) after that revalidation of NGOs is required.
5. How to Apply for NGO validation?
1.It is expected that the organisation is registered as a Society / Trust / Company under Section 25 (not-for-profit company), be functional for the last (at least) three years and has basic legal, regulatory and financial compliance in place.
2.The capacity building interventions and access to Online Giving Platform (OGP) will be chargeable. The actual costs will be intimated to the NGOs.
3.CAF India reserves the right to modify the processes & fee related to NGO Validation.
4.The CAF India validated status will be terminated if the organisation is found to be not complying with CAF India due diligence norms and standards.
Alternatively, you may also send the letter of request for validation to the following address:-
Head - NGO Credibility & Engagement
Charities Aid Foundation India
Plot / Site No.2, First Floor, Sector C (OFC Pocket)
Nelson Mandela Marg, New Delhi - 110 070, India
Phone: +91 11 26134192-98
When initial request for validation is received from the NGO, they will be informed of the procedures in detail, formats & information/document to be sent along with the requisite fee and the modalities of payment within a given time frame.